Them and Us through the Looking Glass: Race, Arts and Politics
This event looks very interesting. It takes place at The Drum, Birmingham on Thursday September 18th, 7-9pm.
The organizers are asking the following questions:
- What does it mean to be a BME artist?
- How does the title affect your work and visibility as an artist, practitioner or thinker?
- What does it really mean when wider institutions used ‘BME’ as a frame of reference?
- What can we do to negotiate it- and other such terms that confine us to single narratives and tick boxes exercises-to ensure the fluidity, nuances and textures of our practices are reflected in these cultural and artistic domains?
- Is the process of abstraction a useful tool in liquidating the racial markers used to define the sociological body when trying to penetrate the cultural and artistic spheres that exclude us?